Question regarding packages

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Mon Jan 20 13:56:45 PST 2003

Dylan Gorman wrote:

> Linux world, and opted to start my experience with LFS. I have RedHat 8
> already installed on the system.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Now, I set
> my LFS partition to mount at /lfs, and copied all the tarballs and
> bz2balls to /lfs, and unpacked them directly to there. However, when I
> unpack the *balls, it creates a new directory with the name of the *ball,
> for instance, when I run tar xzvf bash-2.05a, it creates  a directory
> at /lfs/bash-2.05a with all the files contained therin. Within each
> directory the ball is un-tarred to, I run the ./configures, the makes, and
> the make installs.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Is this wrong? Is there
> another location I should have unpacked to?</DIV></div><br
> clear=all><hr>MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and <a
> href="http://g.msn.com/8HMYEN/2017">2 months FREE*</a> </html>

First, please post in plain test.

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing, but there is a better
way.

Make your directories in /lfs.  Move all the packages.tar.bz2 to
/lfs/usr/src

Remove those unpacked directories.  Now unpack bash in /lfs/usr/src
Go into /lfs/usr/src/bash-2.05a and run the book's instructions.

Once you have installed bash, then delete the bash-2.05a directory.

You can keep the tar.bz2 files anywhere, wherever you have the spare
space.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org