Question on kernel upgrades

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Mon Jan 20 10:19:46 PST 2003

On Monday 20 January 2003 18:13, you wrote:
 > After a compile problem related to the fact that I'm trying to shoehorn a
 > beta kernel (2.5.58) into lfs, I'm going to go back and play by the rules
 > with the recommended stable kernel, 2.4.20.

Hehe! That's the safe side! ;-)

 > If and when a new stable kernel is released, what else should I upgrade
 > along with it?  Can I just upgrade the kernel and keep the glibc, gcc,
 > lilo, etc. based on the current kernel headers?  Are there specific
 > packages that should always be updated whenever I build a new kernel?  Or
 > should I build a whole new LFS base from the start to ensure total
 > integrity between kernel headers and package builds?

You in the first place copied the kernel headers you compiled glibc against to
/usr/include/linux (you did, didn't you?) so that you can throw away your
kernel tree with no problem. So you'll be able to update the kernel by just
recompiling the new one, installing the image someplace it's accesibe at boot
(/boot is most of the time the correct place! ;-) ) and re-run lilo after you
add an entry for the new kernel in lilo.conf. And that shall be enough.

Regards,
Yann.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |
| web: ymorin.free.fr | SETI at home  699 | / \ HTML MAIL    |   v   conspiracy.  |
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org