gcc-3.2 build fails with ld error

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Mon Jan 20 04:21:30 PST 2003

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 11:19:43AM +0000, Chris Lingard wrote:
> Keith Harwood wrote:
>
> > I have started building LFS-4.0.
> >
> > Static build of gcc-3.2 failed as follows.
> >
> > Bootstrapping the compiler
>
> > Looks to me like the stage1 gcc is generating something that my existing
> > linker can't handle.
> > My ld clains to be
> > GNU ld version 2.9.5 (with BFD 2.9.5.0.24)
> > and reports
>
> Yes, I would agree that this version is too old to build gcc-3.x.x
>
> You can build binutils on your base system, but omit any --prefix
> option;  this will install it into the default /usr/local/bin
>
> Then put /usr/local/bin on the front of your path when building gcc

Chris, sorry to butt in here. But in my experience gcc doesn't look at the
path for the binutils (at least during the configure stage).

A more surefire way around this problem is to use the new method currently
in LFS cvs.

Just simply add:-

    --with-as=$LFS/static/bin/as \
    --with-ld=$LFS/static/bin/ld

to the gcc configure line. That way all the gcc feature tests for assembler
and linker pass properly and the new binutils get used during the gcc build.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org