Compiling NIC Modules Error...

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Mon Jan 20 03:16:05 PST 2003

Leigh Gardiner wrote:

> Ok, I found it.
>
> Yes, I had kept my original config file :)
> I've selected it to be compiled into the kernel (and i found my second NIC
> in there too, w00t :) )...
> So far I've issued:
> make menuconfig
> (save)
> make dep
> make clean
> make bzImage

Yes, thats fine.  And then just copy the new bzImage to /boot/different_name

> its currently running through make bzImage...once thats done all I'll have
> to issue is make install, I won't have to issue make modules and make
> modules_install...

There is no make install for the kernel

> Once their done, I'll have to copy the
> /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage file to /boot, and rename the old
> one, just incase something goes wrong i can bootup with a floppy...then
> ill have to copy System.map to /boot, rename the old one...

Does not matter about the System.map

> Does this process sound alright??

If you do not overwrite your existing kernel, you can boot off a new
image by adding a new optional name in lilo.conf
Then you can build that kernel as many times as you like, until you
get it working to perfection

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org