lilo 22.2 build error

Peter B. Steiger wypbs001 at bornagain.com
Mon Jan 20 00:48:25 PST 2003

compile command during make says:
cc -c -O2 -Wall `( if [ -r $ROOT/etc/lilo.defines ]; then cat
$ROOT/etc/lilo.defines; else echo -DBDATA -DDSECS=3 -DIGNORECASE -DLBA32 -
DLVM -DM386 -DONE_SHOT -DPASS160 -DREISERFS -DREWRITE_TABLE -DSOLO_CHAIN -
DVARSETUP -DVERSION; if ) | sed 's/-D/-DLCF_/g'` `[ -r
/usr/include/asm/boot.h ] && echo -DHAS_BOOT_H` `cat mylilo.h` lilo.c

There are several lines of warnings: redefinition of struct timespec and
redefinition of struct timeval which didn't break it, but then comes the
error:

/usr/include/linux/jiffies.h:11: parse error before "jiffies_64"
In file included from /usr/include/linux/sched.h:20,
    	    	    	from /usr/include/linux/device.h:30,
    	    	    	from /usr/include/linux/genhd.h:15,
    	    	    	from common.h:20,
    	    	    	from lilo.c:25:
/usr/include/asm/mmu.h:13: field `sem' has incomplete type
/usr/include/asm/mmu.h:15: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
make: *** [lilo.o] Error 1

I have followed the cvs package specifications thoroughly, EXCEPT... I'm
using kernel 2.5.58 since part of my goal in moving off RH is to get a
stable kernel upgrade with the correct libraries all working together.

Per the suggestion in the book I removed -g from the CFLAGS, but that just
took me a little further where I got a nearly identical error in
completion.h (parse error before "Wait_queue_head_t" in function
"init_completion".

Searching the archives I see that there's a relationship between certain
versions of the kernel & certain versions of lilo.  Has anyone tried
building lfs with kernel 2.5.* ?  If the kernel headers are the problem, am
I gonna have to start chapter 6 all over again with 2.4.19, or can I just
rebuild a few packages that specifically rely on the kernel headers?  Does
this mean I won't be able to upgrade the kernel until lilo & kernel
headers play nicely together?

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY