no luck with network in lfs 4.0 (help please :) )

Mark Jones mark.jones106 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 19 20:10:27 PST 2003

I setup my lfs 4.0 system and I'm very, very happy with the boot time,
less than 15 secs.  However, I can not get my network going.

I see this error on boot:
Bringing up the eth0 interface...                                    [
OK  ]
Setting up default gateway...
Usage: inet_route [-vF] del {-host|-net} Target[/prefix] [gw Gw] [metric
M] [[dev] If]
       inet_route [-vF] add {-host|-net} Target[/prefix] [gw Gw] [metric
M]
                              [netmask N] [mss Mss] [window W] [irtt I]
                              [mod] [dyn] [reinstate] [[dev] If]
       inet_route [-vF] add {-host|-net} Target[/prefix] [metric M]
reject
       inet_route [-FC] flush      NOT supported
[FAILED]

So I looked into S20network
route add default gateway $GATEWAY metric 1

This was the culprit I believe.  I changed it to:
route add gateway $GATEWAY metric 1

However, this does not get me much further:
gateway: Host name lookup failure
[FAILED]

When I looked at the output of ifconfig I did see that I am getting an
IP address from my firewall/router.

I did not copy exactly the /etc/sysconfig/network file or the
/etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0 from the manual.  Instead I
merged the files from my working system with the examples in the manual:

root:/# more /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4=false
HOSTNAME=localhost.mynet.net
DOMAINNAME=mynet.net
GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
GATEWAY_IF=eth0

root:/etc/rc.d/rc5.d# more /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0
ONBOOT=yes
IP=192.168.0.102
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255

root:/etc/rc.d/rc5.d# more /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.0.102           localhost.mynet.net

Does anyone know what is wrong?  I'm trying to get this up and going
before late tomorrow if possible.

Thanks,

Mark

--