Error compiling Linux-2.4.19 in chapter 8.

Manuel Vázquez Acosta manu at chasqui.cu
Sun Jan 19 17:33:53 PST 2003

Hi:

A few days ago, when I was compiling lilo, utils-linux and sysklogd
I got an error saying that linux/autoconf.h was missing.
In chapter 6 (lfs 4.0), when installing linux headers:
"touch /usr/include/linux/autoconf.h: This creates an
empty autoconf.h file. As we do not yet configure the
kernel, we have to create this file ourselves for
those few kernel header files that make use of it,
I made the same when compiling lilo, utils-linux and
sysklogd, and then no errors showed up.

Then, in chapter 8, when I try to compile linux
it says /bin/pwd is missing. Again in chapter 6 in
the same place:
ln -s /static/bin/pwd /bin/pwd &&
.... &&
rm /bin/pwd

I made the symlink and it seems linux compiled
ok.

When I reboot, and choose lfs in lilo's menu,
it says:
kmod: failed to exec .sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-8, errno = 2
VFS: Cannot open root device "810" or 08:10

My lfs' /etc/fstab seems to be ok.
I checked the inittab but it is just
like book says it must be.

Any hints?