Compiling NIC Modules Error...

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Sun Jan 19 08:28:17 PST 2003

Leigh Gardiner wrote:

> How do I use the Kernels modules? I've searched through the 'make
> menuconfig' menu, but there isn't any e100...but there is a
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/Documentation/e100.txt and
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/drivers/net/e100/
> How do I compile these into the kernel, or whatever you were speaking of?
> I'm not that familiar just yet with all this kernel compiling...i can
> compile anything from the menu, but i dunno how to compile 3rd party
> modules or whatever into the kernel..

You are going to remake your kernel; I hope that you have your previous
configuration in a file, that you can just read in.

Find
Network device support  -> Ethernet  -> EtherExpressPro/100

Go to the help and read all about them.

You can either build it into the kernel, or build it as a module.
Probably the simplest, at this stage, is just to build it in. Then
the ethernet should be detected on boot.

If you build as a module then you need two additional steps after
the make bzImage:
make modules
make modules_install

Put you new kernel into /boot with a different name, then add a new cell
to lilo.conf to boot it.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org