Bunch of questions... (newbie)

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Sun Jan 19 06:52:18 PST 2003

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Wolfman wrote:

> Hi there,
> I just set up my LFS System, now I got some Problems by setting up my DSL...
>
> 1. the pppd demon can't find the /var/log/messages file..... sure, because
> it does not exist... can someone tell me how I get the syslogd (which
> should generate it????) to generate this file???

That file is not used in the LFS install - check the LFS book for more
detail. It makes sys.log and kern.log.

> 2. I got two network cards in my linux box, one for the LAN, one for the
> DSL Modem..... But, only one Networkcard at a time works.... Both are found
> in the startup and both are getting an IRQ.... but if I give IPs to both of
> them and then try to ping them, just the first is reachable... if I let the
> IP for the first on eundefined, I can ping the second one.... so does
> someone got an idea???

Sounds like beyond.linuxfromscratch territory. You'll want to look at
that stuff and post there probably. Also, check out the LFS FAQ (I
haven't looked recently) maybe something in there about your problem.

IIRC, something similar was recently posted and solved on the BLFS
lists. You might wand to check the newsgroup postings or do a google
search for the linucfromscratch archives (the LFS mail archives are not
back on-line yet).

> 3. How do I turn on the Num Lock at Startup??

Also recently in the newsgroups/mailing list archives.

--
Bill Maltby
lfsbill at wlmcs.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org