Problems compiling kernel!

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Sat Jan 18 12:06:26 PST 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 22:06, WildChild wrote:
> When I try to compile kernel I always receive a lot of error
>
> make mrproper:
>
> make -C Documentation/DocBook clean
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/Documentation/DocBook'
> Makefile:188: /Rules.make: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/Rules.make'.  Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/Documentation/DocBook'
> make: *** [clean] Error 2
>

> make dep
>
> make: /bin/pwd: Command not found
> Hn at Hn@make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot'
> make[1]: Nothing to be done for `dep'.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot'
> scripts/mkdep -- init/*.c > .depend
> realpath(/include) failed, No such file or directory
> make: *** [dep-files] Error 1
>

> make bzImage
>
> init/main.c:383: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared (first use in
> this function)
> init/main.c:383: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> init/main.c:383: for each function it appears in.)
> make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1
>

> What can be the cause of these errors?

Large chunks of your kernel source tree being missing would do it for
the first error.  The rest of the commands are ones you should not have
typed after getting the failure for the mrproper target.  Building a
kernel is not an operation in which you should ignore fatal errors and
just see if it works anyway... any and all fatal errors that occur
during a kernel build WILL create a broken kernel and render your system
relatively unbootable (pedants begone!).

I suggest you get a copy of the latest source tarball, rm -rf
/usr/src/linux* and then untar the fresh copy.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org