fat 2 linux??

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Sat Jan 18 11:59:57 PST 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 14:39, Joachim F wrote:
> Hello again,, newbie as i am ,, i wonder how and what app i should use to
> make me hd(500Mb) on my laptop all linux compatible??
> i can only use floppy disks 1.44Mb on my comp,, would be nice to find some
> app to fit on that ;)

After having watched this thread for a few days I'm going to be merciful
and tell it to you straight...

If you have a high speed internet connection and PCMCIA network card,
you _may_ be able to get Debian on it doing a network install.  You will
need to go a _very_ minimal route, however.

If you _don't_ have a way to connect that machine to the internet (a
modem will not make you happy with the results--days of being online to
get it installed) you only have two other choices...

1. Get a mini-ATA to ATA adapter, take the HD out of that notebook, and
stick it in a desktop machine and install to it there with a
configuration that both machines can use, and then put it back in the
notebook.

2. Slackware 7.1 was, I think, the last release of that which could
easily be installed from floppy disks (I haven't done anything but a CD
or network install of it in just about forever, so I can't be 100%
certain) and just involves downloading the A, D, N, K, and AP disksets
and the boot/root pair and sticking them on floppies.  However, without
a fast network connection, updating this won't be funny.  Anything older
than Slackware 7.1 stands a _really_ good chance of not being a recent
enough host distro to use LFS.

Well, okay, you have three options... The third being to sell the
notebook on Ebay to someone for $120 (a complete working notebook with a
500Mb drive is worth about that) and buy yourself a nice PDA because
it'll be more useful than the notebook was (and probably faster--I
recommend Handspring Edge for that price range).

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org