spurious 8259A interrupt : IRQ7 + motherboard

Justin Hibbits jrh29 at po.cwru.edu
Fri Jan 17 06:37:39 PST 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 11:36:35AM -0000, Matthew Burgess wrote:

> what lies around this line in the log file may give you a clue as to what
> device is actually generating the interrrupt. If it only happens at boot
> time, it is possible that the device driver has a bug in it's initialization
> routine that generates a spurious interrrupt to the OS. It should be
> reported appropriately.
>
> If it happens all the time while the system is running, you have a bad
> hardware problem or something is loose or improperly connected.  First ID
> the real source of the interrupt. The 8259A could be on many devices or it
> may be on the MB. (more than one present.)"
> --end quote---
>
> So this I think explains why disabling local APIC support on my machine
> cured "my" problem, but wouldn't necessarily solve anyone elses, it just
> happened to be the APIC which had/was using the 8259A device. - maybe.

I just checked my logs, to see if I actually do get these messages, and I
do....just on bootup, which is at the time that it brings up the ACPI bridge.
Which does explain why I never saw them.
Guess my luck isn't perfect ;p  But, on another note, I was getting these
messages all the time with my p3 system, which has a via chipset (but via w/
intel sucks...via with amd is great, but that's for another flamewar ;p ).

So, this just shows that pretty much any option could cause that message to be
either disabled or displayed.

-Justin
--
Registered Linux user 260206