spurious 8259A interrupt : IRQ7 + motherboard

Matthew Burgess ca9mbu at eos.sunderland.ac.uk
Fri Jan 17 02:59:05 PST 2003

"Ian Molton" <spyro at f2s.com> wrote in message
news:20030117084045.2867b491.spyro at f2s.com...
> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 02:48:37 +0000 (UTC)
> jrh29 at po.cwru.edu (Justin Hibbits) wrote:
>
> > > I think thats what the 'spurious' is supposed to mean, dude ;-)
> > >

> > I know that.  But the kernel should silently ignore interrupts from an
> > uninitialized device, and if it doesn't, they should fix it.
>
> Im no expert on the X86, but isnt IRQ 7 a multiplexed IRQ?
>
> If so, its not possible to mask it whilst one device is unmasked.
>
> >  btw, it
> > may depend on the kernel too.  I use 2.4.18, and it works like a
> > charm, no noise whatsoever.  Hell, it may just be I'm lucky at this.
>
> probably :)

Ian, your knowledge of this sounds far beyond mine, but I seem to remember
having this problem a while back with my Athlon XP rig.  I did a search on
google and was lead to believe it was the inclusion of one of the "APIC"
options in the kernel config that caused this particular message to fire off
(try "Local APIC support" or similar).  Disabling support for this had no
ill effects, and removed the message once and for all.

Regards,

Matt.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org