Localedef errors with glibc-2.3.1

Peter B. Steiger wypbs001 at bornagain.com
Fri Jan 17 00:07:53 PST 2003

I'm on chapter 6 of the CVS version, and things were going great until I
got to the make localedata/install-locales command.  Nothing happens at all
- no files are added to /usr/lib/locale (well, possibly locale-archive...
that gets modified).  No errors are produced, but that's because the
Makefile runs localedef without -v turned on.

I tried the single-language option, running localedef by hand:
localedef -v -i en_US -f ISO-8859-1 en_US

... so I could see the verbose output, and I get about 9 million pages of
"/usr/share/i18n/locales/en_US:##: non-symbolic character value should not
be used" (where ## is a line number), and similar errors for
/usr/share/i18n/locales/translit_neutral.  Finally it gets to some new
errors at the end:
LC_NAME: field `name_gen' not defined
LC_IDENTIFICATION: field `audience' not defined
LC_IDENTIFICATION: field `application' not defined
LC_IDENTIFICATION: field `abbreviation' not devinted
LC_IDENTIFICATION: no identification for category `LC_MEASUREMENT'
no output file produced because warning were [sic] issued

I'm building on an AMD Duron 1.6GHz with 512MB RAM, 60GB IDE drive
currently running RH 7.3 with the kernel upgraded to 2.4.20.  The RH host
has gcc 2.96 with glibc 2.2.5-34.  I am chroot'ed in to the lfs location
(entire drive is already partitioned, so I will need to install lfs
concurrently with the RH stuff).  No CLFAGS or LDFLAGS or anything else
that might alter the build environment.  glibc itself built without any
errors, once I realized I had mistakenly installed binutils 2.9 instead of
binutils-2.13.  The static GCC from chapter 5 is 3.2.1 and works fine.  The
only other nonstandard thing I did was install kernel headers for 2.5.58
instead of 2.4.19.  So my questions are...

1) Would the different kernel headers have any effect on the locale
problem?
B) Has anyone else encountered this error and found a fix for it, either
with the 4.0 or CVS book?  Or with glibc 2.3.1 at all?

A grep of Usenet and www.* turns up a handful of other people over the past
year with similar problems (both in lfs and their own projects) but no
answers.

Any hints, pointers to a FAQ or URL that I missed in my searches, or
general ridicule all gratefully accepted.

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org