Help with cfdisk

John Schofield schof at coyotehighway.com
Thu Jan 16 15:52:05 PST 2003

This question may demonstrate that I'm too Linux-clueless to be doing
an LFS build, but I'm also too stubborn to quit.  (Please be gentle.)
{grin}

The book says to "Start the cfdisk program with as argument the name of
the hard disk upon which the new partition must be created -- for
example /dev/hda for the primary IDE disk. Create a Linux native
partition, and if needed a swap partition. Please refer to the man page
of cfdisk if you don't yet know how to use the program."  So I'm
running RedHat 8, and lo and behold, there's no cfdisk I can find.  Did
a search on the web, where I discovered someone else asking the same
question -- RedHat is apparently omitting cfdisk.  They yelled at the
guy who asked that question and told him to check out rpmfind.net,
which I did -- installed cfdisk and ncurses.  So now I can start
cfdisk, but it looks like the keymapping is incorrect -- up arrow key
toggles bootable status on /dev/hda1, while down arrow gives an error.
I can't create or modify partitions 'cause I can't navigate to them.  I
don't get this...I'm running the RedHat GUI terminal on a local
computer, so there shouldn't be any WYSE/TTY/whatever configuration
problems, right?

Also, if there's an obvious or non-obvious place where I could have
found the answer to this question without bothering you guys, please
let me know as well.  I tried to do a search of the list archives, but
apparently that feature's down for the count right now.

Schof

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org