chapter 5 - gcc: echo > instead of echo >>

Antoine Leca leca-marti.org at lfs.antoine
Wed Jan 15 14:20:30 PST 2003

Rob Park wrote:
> Alas! Antoine Leca spake thus:
>
>>The books (4.0 French version) says quite clearly to type
>>
>>  echo "#define HAVE_GAS_HIDDEN 1" >> gcc/auto-host.h &&
>>
>>However, I typed
>>
>>  echo "#define HAVE_GAS_HIDDEN 1" > gcc/auto-host.h &&
>

> This is one of the reasons that I advocate copy and pasting...

Perhaps it avoids this, but I still think it is better and
more efficient to learn while typing than while blindly
copying 'n pasting. At least you really learn what you are
making (and after all this is LFS' main goal, isn't it?)

(A second reason is that I usually work from command line,
'cause it is easier given the hardware I am using; but I agree
in advance I am disnormal on this regard.)

Antoine

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org