grub/partitions probs NEW

Blender blender at hotfusion.org
Wed Jan 15 14:16:20 PST 2003

> Hi all,
>
> My /dev/hda looks like this:
>
> /hda1    -> host OS /boot (ext3)
> /hda2    -> /home (LFS, ext3)
> /hda3    -> swap
> /hda4    (extended linux partition, type 0x82)
>     /hda5    -> /tmp (LFS, ext3)
>     /hda6    -> /var (LFS, ext3)
>     /hda7    -> /mnt/lfs on host OS, / on LFS? (ext3)
>     /hda8    -> /usr (LFS, ext3)
>
> I am unable to mount /hda1, mount replies with: fs type ntfs not supported
> by kernel. As far as I know it's ext3, at least that's how the host OS was
> configured. In fact, all partitions (execpt of course swap) are ext3.
>
> Is there a way to access /dev/hda2?

Sorry for the confusion, I meant hda1, but as a matter of fact I can mount
it now.

mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1

now works. I just don't know why I had to include -t ext3, I didn't have to
do that for all the other ext3 partitions. Strange.

So far my LFS system works great! And I would very much like to keep it that
way :) Playing with /dev/hda1 seems a bit dangerous to me as it was /boot on
my host system and I still use the host systems grub. I would like my LFS
system to mount /dev/hda1 as /boot and use grub as a bootloader. How would I
go about that?

Thanks!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org