[chapter 9] strip debug symbols

Matijs matijs at hotfusion.org
Wed Jan 15 11:04:53 PST 2003

> Are you sure? There are a great many files that are not executables in
> those directories. Strip issues a warning message for them. For the
> others, I think strip is silent. Do 'file' on a few binaries and see if
> they stripped OK. Or you could run stripp on a few and see if their size
> changes.

I just booted with my LFS system.

file /bin/ed

gives:

/bin/ed: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for
GNU/Linux 2.0.
0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

file * | grep ', stripped'

is not empty... so a lot of the files ARE indeed stripped.

> > Does this have to do with my host system (Red Hat 8.0) or are only files
> > mentioned of which the debug symbols cannot be stripped?
>
> IIRC, it only gives warnings about those it knows it can not strip.

Maybe not? :?

Matijs

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org