hardware detection in lfs

P.B.Prabhuram pbprabhuram2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 15 11:01:44 PST 2003

--- Ken Moffat <ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, P.B.Prabhuram wrote:
>
> > i have a working lfs , but is there any hardware
> > detection tools for lfs like kuduzu , so the
> hardware
> > can be detected and reconized on boot up itself.
> >
> > 		(or)
> >
> >  no hardware detection is neccessary , the kernel
> auto
> > detects the hardware itself
> >

>  I believe you can get the kudzu source (as a SRPM,
> probably) from Red
> Hat, but why would you want to ?  As long as you can
> boot, you can
> modprobe any modules needed for different hardware
> (provided you've
> remembered to compile them).  It's not as if kudzu
> does anything useful
> (unless you are trying to automate an install), is
> it ?
>
>  Most of us don't change our hardware very often,
> and when we do, we
> have a reasonable idea what we've done (e.g. if we
> change the video card
> we might make a mistake about which kernel option is
> needed for the
> framebuffer on this card).
>
>  If you use `dmesg' you'll see what the kernel
> found. `pciutils' is
> probably also useful  to give you `lspci', but this
> is heading into the
> blfs-support area.
>
> Ken
> --
>  Out of the darkness a voice spake unto me, saying
> "smile, things could be
> worse". So I smiled, and lo, things became worse.
>

> --
> header of the message

Can you please briefly explain how to modprobe and
compile for that , when new hardware is attached.

Also will this help me , when i am going to copy my
lfs to another system with ( different hardware but
same architecture ).  is there any automative scripts
for performing this ??????

=====

P.B.Prabhuram

http://www.pbprabhuram.com