[chapter 9] strip debug symbols

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Wed Jan 15 10:39:33 PST 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Blender wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Chapter 9, The End mentions stripping debug sybmols. I tried:
>
> find $LFS/{,usr/,usr/local/}{bin,sbin,lib} -type f \
>    -exec /usr/bin/strip --strip-debug '{}' ';'
>
> But it seems that all I got was

> /usr/bin/strip: /mnt/lfs/usr/lib/libshadow.la: File format not recognized
>
> for (all) files it processed.

Are you sure? There are a great many files that are not executables in
those directories. Strip issues a warning message for them. For the
others, I think strip is silent. Do 'file' on a few binaries and see if
they stripped OK. Or you could run stripp on a few and see if their size
changes.

> Does this have to do with my host system (Red Hat 8.0) or are only files
> mentioned of which the debug symbols cannot be stripped?

IIRC, it only gives warnings about those it knows it can not strip.

--
Bill Maltby
lfsbill at wlmcs.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org