hardware detection in lfs

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed Jan 15 10:33:28 PST 2003

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, P.B.Prabhuram wrote:

> i have a working lfs , but is there any hardware
> detection tools for lfs like kuduzu , so the hardware
> can be detected and reconized on boot up itself.
>
> 		(or)
>
>  no hardware detection is neccessary , the kernel auto
> detects the hardware itself

 I believe you can get the kudzu source (as a SRPM, probably) from Red
Hat, but why would you want to ?  As long as you can boot, you can
modprobe any modules needed for different hardware (provided you've
remembered to compile them).  It's not as if kudzu does anything useful
(unless you are trying to automate an install), is it ?

 Most of us don't change our hardware very often, and when we do, we
have a reasonable idea what we've done (e.g. if we change the video card
we might make a mistake about which kernel option is needed for the
framebuffer on this card).

 If you use `dmesg' you'll see what the kernel found. `pciutils' is
probably also useful  to give you `lspci', but this is heading into the
blfs-support area.

Ken

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org