fat 2 linux??

Richard Lightman richard at nezumi.plus.com
Wed Jan 15 00:18:12 PST 2003

* Joachim F <viking at gbg.bonet.se> [2003-01-15 07:41]:
> getting kinda mad soon,, spent almost 2 hours to find some info about it,,
> cant f-n find anything :/
> pls help!!!
> sincerely Jocke
>
> "Joachim F" <viking at gbg.bonet.se> skrev i meddelandet
> news:b01si1$ff6$1 at quasar.highos.com...
> > Hello again,, newbie as i am ,, i wonder how and what app i should use to
> > make me hd(500Mb) on my laptop all linux compatible??
> > i can only use floppy disks 1.44Mb on my comp,, would be nice to find some
> > app to fit on that ;)
> > JF

Linux can reed fat partitions, so there is no need for a program to
do it. When you configure the kernel, read the help for:

File systems  --->
  <M> DOS FAT fs support
  <M>   MSDOS fs support
  <M>     UMSDOS: Unix-like file system on top of standard MSDOS fs
  <M>   VFAT (Windows-95) fs support
  <M> NTFS file system support (read only)

Then read the 'Mount options for fat' section of "man mount".

If you are doing lots of work with fat floppies, you might like mtools
and fdutils.

Richard
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org