Upgrading software?

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Tue Jan 14 15:43:30 PST 2003

On Tue 14 Jan 2003 17:04, you wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 16:36:04 +0000 (UTC)
>
> johngay at eircom.net (John Gay) wrote:
> > Sounds good! I was hoping for a less intrusive way, but it's good to
> > know the steps.
>
> well, as I said, you can put --prefix in your home directory, as long as
> ld and PATH are set up right.

Well, I think I'll just setup a /usr/local/test/ directory for testing
software and modify the ld and PATH accordingly.

> then you neednt be root to install.

I've heard it said that there are two types of *NIX admins, those that have
done something EXTREMELY stupid while logged in as root, and those that WILL
do something extremely stupid while logged in as root. And I'm part of the
first group now ;-)

Cheers,

	John Gay
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org