no files in proc

Rob Park rbpark at ualberta.ca
Tue Jan 14 15:29:11 PST 2003

Alas! Blender spake thus:
> Hmmm, maybe that's my problem as well. I have a USB mouse connected to my
> system. I do have the above lines in my /etc/fstab but when I boot the
> system it complains about /proc/bus/usb not being present (I'm at work
> right now so I can't check what the exact message is).
> Could it be that I forgot to configure something in the kernel?

Could be.

If you still can't work it out after you get home, I can send you my
kernel .config, which works great for a USB mouse, and a Sony NetMD
walkman... which are the only USB devices I have. You can compare, to
see if you did it right.

I also had to play with mknod to get the right devices in /dev (I'm not
using devfs):

$ ls -l /dev/input
total 0
crw-r--r--    1 root     root      13,  63 Dec 30 16:11 mice
crw-r--r--    1 root     root      13,  32 Dec 30 16:12 mouse0

(those two numbers are the major and minor number that you need to give
to mknod). The 'mice' one simulates IMPS/2, so you can set X to use that
with the IMPS/2 protocol, works great.

--
Rob Park
http://www.ualberta.ca/~rbpark