Kernel compilation - Can't find .config file on RH 7.1

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 14 15:10:49 PST 2003

On January 14, 2003 02:07 am, Brian Shortridge wrote:
> Before I do that... is there anything that I need to watch out for? Should
> I type 'make mrproper' in /usr/src/linux-2.4 before I make oldconfig? Will
> 'make oldconfig' in /usr/src/linux-2.4 damage my host system in any way?

Whatever you do, don't run make mrproper. It'll delete the config file.

Now, I actually think that Redhat calls the kernel configuration file
something else. At least I've read a report or two where that was the case,
but I don't remember the exact details.

So how do you figure it out if it might even be called something totally
different? Here's something you can try:

Open the scripts/Menuconfig file and look for this:

	DEFAULTS=arch/$ARCH/defconfig
	if [ -f .config ]; then
	  DEFAULTS=.config
	fi

Paraphrasing it: set the default config file to arch/i386/defconfig (or
whatever architecture you have. I assume it's x86). Then look for the file
.config and if it exists, use it as the default config file rather than
defconfig.

So, now you go check what file your Redhat linux tree looks for. Maybe it's
not .config but something else. That "something else" is the file you copy
into your LFS /usr/src/linux and call it .config because that's the default
file when you don't modify anything in the kernel source.

Hope this helps.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org