Upgrading software?

Jochen Schröder jschrod at uni-muenster.de
Tue Jan 14 10:06:56 PST 2003

Ian Molton wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 05:28:18 +0000 (UTC)
> no.spam at allowed.here (Dagmar d'Surreal) wrote:
>
> Oh my! Dagmar, you slipped up!
>

>>Afaik, glibc never reads
>>anything under /usr/src/linux,
>

> No, but compiling software using the libc headers will #include files
> from there.
>

>>and /usr/src/linux has historically
>>been a symlink pointing to /usr/src/linux-x.x.xx source that's
>>currently being used
>

> WRONG WRONG WRONG!
>
> this should never ever be the case. the headers should be COPIES of the
> ones used when compiling glibc, NEVER symlinks to
> /usr/src/linux/include/[linux|asm]
>

>>(several other packages do look in there for clues when they compile).
>

> Then these packages are broken and should either not be silly and depend
> on the kernel, OR they are kernel modules, which should use
> /usr/src/linux/include/[linux|asm] and NOT /usr/include/[linux|asm]
>
> last time I compiles lmsensors, it seemed to be of the mistaken
> impression it should use /usr/include/[linux|asm]. this resulted in it
> compiling for 2.4.20 when I was running 2.4.21-pre2.

Ian, either I don't understand your reasoning or you have misread
Dagmar's posting. If lmsensors was supposed to get the headers from
/usr/src/linux/include[linux|asm] and  /usr/src/linux/ is not a symlink
to /usr/src/linux-x.x.xx how was it supposed to compile for 2.4.21-pre2?
Please explain.
Cheers
Jochen

--