Upgrading software?

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Tue Jan 14 09:10:15 PST 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 05:28:18 +0000 (UTC)
no.spam at allowed.here (Dagmar d'Surreal) wrote:

Oh my! Dagmar, you slipped up!

> Afaik, glibc never reads
> anything under /usr/src/linux,

No, but compiling software using the libc headers will #include files
from there.

> and /usr/src/linux has historically
> been a symlink pointing to /usr/src/linux-x.x.xx source that's
> currently being used

WRONG WRONG WRONG!

this should never ever be the case. the headers should be COPIES of the
ones used when compiling glibc, NEVER symlinks to
/usr/src/linux/include/[linux|asm]

> (several other packages do look in there for clues when they compile).

Then these packages are broken and should either not be silly and depend
on the kernel, OR they are kernel modules, which should use
/usr/src/linux/include/[linux|asm] and NOT /usr/include/[linux|asm]

last time I compiles lmsensors, it seemed to be of the mistaken
impression it should use /usr/include/[linux|asm]. this resulted in it
compiling for 2.4.20 when I was running 2.4.21-pre2.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org