Kernel compilation - Can't find .config file on RH 7.1

Brian Shortridge bshortridge at tellumat.com
Tue Jan 14 01:07:07 PST 2003

Hi all

I've been following the LFS book 4 and have gotten to chapter 8 where I'm
installing the kernel.

My base system is RH 7.1. Originally I had planned to configure the kernel
from scratch myself, but there are so many options that it requires a bigger
'chunk' of time for me to sit down and do it than I currently have available
:(. So I decided to use my current .config file instead and play around with
compiling a kernel later when I have the time.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to locate my host system's .config file.

I read the README file in /mnt/lfs/usr/src/linux-2.4.19, and it told me that
I could find the .config file in my distribution's kernel source tree...
lies I tell you, all lies! :)

I've tried 'slocate *.config*' (without the quotes) after 'slocate -u' to no
avail.

I tried looking in the /usr/src/linux-2.4 directory, but it only contained
.h files (I was hoping that there'd at least be some sort of README file
that would tell me where to find the .config file). I even tried looking in
the /boot directory... I was getting desperate :).

I used google to search the linuxfromscratch.org site for 'config kernel red
hat' to see if anyone else has had this problem, but it seems that no one
has had a problem with finding the .config file. Clearly I must be the only
dummy here!

I went to the redhat site and searched for 'config kernel' (without the
quotes) which found this document:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.1-Manual/custom-guide/kernel-
modularized.html

In it, it says: "make oldconfig - This is a non-interactive script that will
set up your configuration file to contain the default settings. If you're
using the default Red Hat kernel, it will create a configuration file for
the kernel that shipped with Red Hat Linux for your architecture. This is
useful for setting up your kernel to known working defaults and then turning
off features that you don't want."

Based on that, when I get home, I plan to go into /usr/src/linux-2.4 and
type 'make oldconfig' in the hopes that it will generate the .config file
that I'm looking for. Then I'll mount the lfs partition, copy the .config
file across, chroot into it, and compile the kernel... leastways, that's the
plan.

Before I do that... is there anything that I need to watch out for? Should I
type 'make mrproper' in /usr/src/linux-2.4 before I make oldconfig? Will
'make oldconfig' in /usr/src/linux-2.4 damage my host system in any way?

Any advice would be appreciated

Brian

PS. sorry for the long post, I just wanted this here in case some other poor
sod can't find the .config file ;)

Notice:

This email transmission contains confidential information which is the property of the sender and if you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying or distribution of the contents of this e-mail transmission, or the taking of any action in reliance thereon or pursuant thereto, is strictly prohibited. Should you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately to arrange for the return of the documentation comprising this transmission. No warranty is given by Tellumat (Pty) Ltd that the integrity of this e-mail has been maintained throughout transmission, nor that the communication is free of viruses, interception or interference. In no event will Tellumat (Pty) Ltd be liable to any party for any direct, indirect, special or other consequential damages for any reliance or use of this email, including, without limitation, any lost profits, business interruption, loss of programs or other data on your information handling system or otherwise. Unless expre
ssly stated by the sender to be given on behalf of Tellumat (Pty) Ltd, any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. Tellumat (Pty) Ltd disclaims liability for any unauthorised opinion or representation made by the sender on behalf of Tellumat (Pty) Ltd.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org