Upgrading software?

Andrew Davis andrew at socallinuxsolutions.com
Sun Jan 12 19:10:58 PST 2003

Just a thought on your first question... basically what you want to do
for a test env appears to be how the main LFS 4.0 handles it. In the LFS
4.0 doc's you start with an existing Linux install and preferably
install the LFS build into it's own filesystem/directory. When done, you
then boot over to the LFS installation. So for your testing environment,
you could boot your LFS install, and create a filesystem that would be
for testing with your upgraded packages... if all is successful, you
would boot into that new one.

The other alternative is to use symlinks. I typically do what you
described for your KDE plans... I make symlinks from an app's name to
it's name+version... ie /usr/local/apache is usually a symlink to
/usr/local/apache-1.3.xx... This allows for installation into a new dir.
Simply move the symlink... see how well things work. If it goes poorly,
move the symlink back. If all appears okay, leave it for a few days or
weeks to make sure no new errors crop up, then remove the old dir.

On a related note... I just walked through the LFS 4.0 install this
weekend and updated both the kernel (to 2.4.20) and 3 or 4 other
packages along with the way. All worked fine... without issue. I also
compiled just about everything but glibc and gcc with optimizations for
my P4 and haven't seen any issues.

AD

--
Andrew Davis, Founder
SoCalLinuxSolutions
andrew at socallinuxsolutions.com
760-525-4689

SoCalLinuxSolutions.com
Linux Consultation & Integration Services

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org