Upgrading software?

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Sun Jan 12 19:11:17 PST 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 02:49:52 +0000 (UTC)
johngay at eircom.net (John Gay) wrote:

> I was wondering how difficult it would be to set-up a sandbox-type
> setup for testing software upgrades before installing them
> permenantly?

very.

add /usr/testing_apps/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf
and /usr/testing_apps/bin to PATH
then, compile your testing app with --prefix=/usr/testing_apps

and make install as usual.

when you decide to keep an app simply recompile without the --prefix,
and remove the one in /usr/testing/*

or, if you dont mind the test environment being 100% authentic, you can
simply specify --prefix to be a local directory in your home directory,
and use that instead (with appropriate environment variables for the
linker which I never use and so dont have to hand). Should be about 99%
authentic, I guess.

hope this helps...
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org