Upgrading software?

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Sun Jan 12 18:43:03 PST 2003

I mentioned this in another E-Mail, but got no feedback, so I'm posting the
idea again.

I was wondering how difficult it would be to set-up a sandbox-type setup for
testing software upgrades before installing them permenantly?

I am planning to build a full desktop with my Daughter from scratch once
KDE3.1 is released. However, I notice that things are updating all the time.
For simplicities sake, I'll be sticking to the stock 4.0 install and the BLFS
from October, since that is what I based my dependancies on.

However, I would like to be able to test and upgrade so her system does not
become dated.

Would it be possible to install an updated package in say /usr/local/test and
verify that it works with everything before installing it in /usr directly?

Also, for KDE, I was planning to install this in /usr/kde3.1 and provide
sym-links to /usr/kde so that when I upgrade, I can install in /usr/kde3.2,
test it out, and then move the sym-link. Is this practical and good practice?

On a more complex area. Linus tells us that /usr/src/linux is reserved for
the kernel sources that glibc is built against, not the kernel of the day.
However, what about when I want to update glibc? Should I install the latest
kernel sources into /usr/src/linux, then re-build glibc before re-compiling
the kernel so that they match?

Just a few of the upgrade questions that come to mind.

Cheers,

	John Gay
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org