problem to install findutils-4.1 under chroot

Rui Ferreira ruifmferreira at sapo.pt
Sun Jan 12 04:52:17 PST 2003

"Thomas Heimroth" <tchino at gmx.de> wrote:

> I have a question at first:
> At the beginning of the installation (chapter 5, preparing the
LFS-System),
> we have to copy the lfs-packages in the /static/src directory and install
> the several packages from there.
>
> But in chapter 6 (Installing basic system software) we speak about
> /usr/src-directory. Example in the section (Installing Glibcc-2.2.5). What
> is right now?

Both are right.
When compiling the static packages it's good to have them is /static/src.
When compiling dynamicly we move them to there final location /usr/src.
You're doing it right from what I see in the lines bellow.

> Now, we come to my intended question:
>
> I get the error by installing the findutils-4.1 at the basic system, when
> execute the follow line:
>
> root:/usr/src/findutils-4.1# make libexecdir=/usr/bin install
>
> /bin/sh: /usr/bin/install: No such file or directory
> /bin/sh: /usr/bin/install: No such file or directory
> /bin/sh: /usr/bin/install: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [install-info] Error 127

May I make a small first note: There are two packages-4.1 - FILEutils and
FINDutils.
'install' comes from 'fileutils'.
First, check if you have the /usr/bin/install binary.
If it is there, check if it is a static binary...

Wait a minute! Your ch. 5 'install'  binary is under /static....
Check your $PATH first, please...

BTW: This should go to lfs-support, not blfs.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org