LILO or MBR questions

Rob Park rbpark at ualberta.ca
Sat Jan 11 22:46:53 PST 2003

Alas! Alexander E. Patrakov spake thus:
> > I've build the LFS on my computer
> > at /dev/hda1 by RedHat 8.0 .
> > The RedHat 8.0 is install at over 8.4GB ( /dev/hdb2 )
> > and installed GRUB before .
> > how to remove GRUB and write back LILO to MBR ?
> > I've try "lilo -v" at LFS but doesn't work .
> > thank you !
>
> Why do you want that? You may just add LFS kernel to RedHat's GRUB menu (or
> rebuild GRUB from scratch and add RH and LFS to it)

Well, part of building a linux system from scratch is putting in your
own bootloader! If you rely on the host's bootloader, it's not really
complete, especially if you want to be 'pure' in the "I compiled
everything myself" department.

As for the original question, I'm not sure. I don't see why lilo would
care what was in the MBR previously, it should be rewriting it to put
it's own stuff in there.

At any rate, I'd just use grub instead of lilo. It's, IMO, more
flexible.

--
Rob Park
http://www.ualberta.ca/~rbpark