how to run ./configure on an existing Redhat Linux machine

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Sat Jan 11 04:54:07 PST 2003

vivekraj wrote:

> i am trying to install LFS on a Linux partition in RedHAT -8
> and created a partition as hdc2 mounted as /mnt/lfs and created the root
> etc directory structure there . i have also unzipped a  src.rpm in
> /lfs/root/src but when trying to run ./configure i am unable to do so and
> it gives an error also after unzipping a Makefile is already there but
> gives error on running ROOT=/mnt/lfs make install kindly give help on how
> to run ./configure on an existing Redhat Linux machine to install Lfs

You need to be in the source directory of the package, cannot remember
where RedHat unpacks its sources, but you should find a directory
called bash-2.05a, and inside this is the configure script.

I would strongly suggest that you download the correct packages for the
book.  The book has pointer to the sites in the appendix.  You should
therefore download bash-2.05a.tar.bz2, and unpack this.

Chris

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org