strange problem(s) - hardware related?

Dario Birtic dariobirtic at gmx.net
Sat Jan 11 04:35:17 PST 2003

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 11:30:29 +0000 (UTC)
lfs at fambinsted.demon.nl (Tim Binsted) wrote:

> I have had a similar problem (not just LFS related but also with SuSE and
> Linus kernels. What hardware are you using. I have a very old Athlon 650, one

	Elitegroup K7VTA3 V2.0 PCB
		- VIA KT266 chipset North & VIA 8233 chipset South
	AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (5000 RPM Fan, Silver thermal paste)
		- Palomino

	other hardware are irrelevant, because I changed it so many times I
lost count, with only the two of mentioned remaining the same.

> I have actually found the errors and posted the errors to the IDE teams. As
> you say when I run the system with Windows stuff (w98 etc.) then the problem
> doesn't occur. However I suspect (and hear) that Windows is somewhat less
> agressive in turns of how it uses the hardware.

	I second that. XP might be more agressive than the former w9x, although.

> What is worth doing is running memtest86 for a night or two and play with the
> BIOS settings. Again this has made the system a bit more stable with the use

	BIOS settings? Hm, let me see, there are, let's say 50 different
combinations related to memory and pci timings and stuff. I tried all of
them :)

> Apart from that I have no other suggestion.

	Thank you for your response :)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org