glibc segmentaion fault

The Cheeze Cheeziologist at attbi.com
Fri Jan 10 22:06:12 PST 2003

u02137 at cs.unipune.ernet.in wrote:
> I presently have a RedHat 8.0 system  on a Pentium -IV machine and am
> attempting to build a linuxfromscratch system. Many thanks to Chris
> for sending me the CDs.
> I am building the LFS 4.1 system. I was able to install the basic

Do you mean a CVS system? Unless I am mistaken, LFS 4.1 has not been
released.

> system mentioned in chapter 5 and successfully chroot ed to my LFS
> partition. I was not typing out the commands..I was merely
> running the lfs-commands as shell scripts.
>
> The glibc compilation failed on my system.
> The build went on for about 18 minutes and when locales were being
> installed on my machine I got the following error:
>
> ..
> zh-TW.BIGS....done
> zh-TW.EUC-TW..done
> make[2] : Leaving directory 'usr/src/glibc-2.3.1/localedata'
> make[1] : Leaving directory 'usr/src/glibc-2.3.1'
> Segmentation fault.
>
> I was restored back to my old system. When i tried to chroot back to
> my LFS system I again got a segmentation fault. Is it possible to get
> back to my lfs system.
>
> Can anybody please tell me how to tackle this.
> Thanking  you,
> Saurabh

If you are trying to use glibc 2.3.1 then I think there is a seg fault
issue if you don't apply the libnss patch to glibc when compiling. I
think this is what you need to do. Mr. Teredesai I think also mentioned
something about moving the libnss libraries but I don't remember exactly
what needs to be done. If you search the archives there is at least one
very recent discussion about this.

--
Registered LFS User: 6929
Registered Linux User: 298182