Problem installing Bash...

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Fri Jan 10 09:26:05 PST 2003

Carlos Marcano wrote:

> Hi all. I am new guy on the list, my name is Carlos
> and I am a student from Venezuela (south america). I
> found out about LFS a few days ago and I decided to
> give it a try. I want to put my hands on LFS 4.0-RC1.
> The thing is I began with the book but when trying to
> install Bash a have a problem. I type this:

You would be better upgrading it to LFS 4.0, just check
the versions againts the LFS 4.0 book.  Make sure you
download the patches for gcc and glibc;  I think that the gcc
patch has changed, and patches are only small.

> but all I get is that there is not any .configure file
> or directory. Could you, please, tell me what I am
> doing wrong? (by the way, I am using a Linux Mandrake
> 8.0 as my primary system...)

The configure is in the bash-2.05a source directory.  When you
unpacked the huge download you will see a file bash-2.05a.tar.bz2
Unpack this, and this creates the source directory.

> In the other hand, do I have to untar the package (I
> downloaded the whole one -105 MB-) in the
> /mnt/lfs/static/src directory?

You can unpack this anywhere.  Then copy each package to wherever
you want to unpack and build it

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org