Problem installing Bash...

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Fri Jan 10 09:08:12 PST 2003

Carlos,

On Friday 10 January 2003 17:57, you wrote:
 > Hi all. I am new guy on the list, my name is Carlos
 > and I am a student from Venezuela (south america). I
 > found out about LFS a few days ago and I decided to
 > give it a try.

Welcome on board, boy! Have fun with LFS!

 > I want to put my hands on LFS 4.0-RC1.

RC1 was released before 4.0 (RC means Release Candidate), so stay on the safe
side and go for LFS-4.0.

 > The thing is I began with the book but when trying to
 > install Bash a have a problem. I type this:
 >
 >      ./configure
 > −−enable−static−link \
 >      −−prefix=$LFS/static
 > −−with−curses &&
 >      make &&
 >      make install

Hope it's only your mailer that translated the dahses (-) into #8722. Thus
these lines should read:

./configure --enable-static-link --prefix=/static &&
make &&
make install

 > In the other hand, do I have to untar the package (I
 > downloaded the whole one -105 MB-) in the
 > /mnt/lfs/static/src directory?

Yes, untar the whle .tar, and you should end up with  quite a few .tar.bz2
packages. Untar them as needed throughout the book.

 > Thanks in for any advice I can get from you.

You're welcome.

 > P.S: sorry for my english...still learning!

Hehe! Don't be afraid! Lots of people here are no english-speaking natives!
Even LFS, as I believe, originates from Germany.

Regards,
Yann.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |
| web: ymorin.free.fr | SETI at home  632 | / \ HTML MAIL    |   v   conspiracy.  |
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org