PCMCIA troubles

Aleksandr Guidrevitch izlam at mail.ru
Fri Jan 10 03:56:45 PST 2003

> Actually this is normal.  Until the interface has been initialized with
> an IP address, it's not going to appear in the output of
> `/sbin/ifconfig` at all, and in some cases specifying the interface
> explicitly like `/sbin/ifconfig eth0` is pretty meaningless as well.
> Perhaps you forgot to edit /etc/pcmcia/network.opts?  (hint hint)

No way I forgot :) Everything seems to be ok with config files

> If none of this works, upgrade pcmcia-cs to either 3.1.34 or 3.2.3 (my
> own notebook just died recently, so I haven't tested the 3.2.x series)
> and then post updated syslog output.

3.2.3 is installed, is there a newer one :) ?

> BTW, you should consider updating pcmcia-cs to 3.1.34 (the latest 3.1.x
> version) or 3.2.3 (the latest 3.2.x version).  I've gotten Linux going
> on about 30 different types of notebooks and usually any problems I had
> would disappear with an upgrade to the latest pcmcia-cs package.
hmm... lemme try to install 3.1.34 :)

> You might also want to consider _not_ enabling the yenta module in the
> kernel if it gives you fits.  On some older chipsets it still kills the
> machine.  (You seem to be doing just fine with it tho.  :) )

Since I use kernel modules I'm expected to use yenta_sockets, at least
RH7.3 uses:)

Here is what I've found
`/etc/pcmcia/network` fails at the line

grep_stab $1 <$STAB || usage

grep_stab ()
{
local DEV
while read SOCKET CLASS DRIVER INSTANCE DEV MAJOR MINOR ; do
if ["$SOCKET" != "Socket" -a "$1" = "$DEV"] ; then return 0; fi
done
return 1
}

of course grep_stab fails due to stab containing
Socket 0: CardBus hotplug device
Socket 1: empty

cardmgr starts ok, but seems it doesn't detect my card. On the other
hand `cardctl info 0` gives
PRODID_1="Xircom"
PRODID_2="CardBus Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56"
PRODID_3="CBEM56G"
PRODID_4="1.03"
MANFID=0105,0103
FUNCID=6

`cardctl ident 0` gives the same thing
product info: "Xircom", "CardBus Ethernet....
manfid: 0X0105, 0x0103
function 6

When I start /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start it produces the output but
doesn't beep even once (as expected), when I stop it - it beeps once
(the same when I plug/unplug the device).

Also, I have RH7.3 installed on the same laptop where my Xircom is
working ok. I've copied RH's /etc/ pcmcia/* as well as
/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia - it doesn't help, the output is pretty the same :(

Where else can I dig ? Where the problem is ? The card type is not
detected by cardmgr ?

Sincerely,
Alex

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org