What is gcc -s option?

Dirk Heinrichs dirk.heinrichs at nokia.com
Thu Jan 9 23:27:18 PST 2003

Am Donnerstag, 9. Januar 2003 13:06 schrieb ext Bill's LFS Login:
> On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Albert Wagner wrote:
> > On Thursday 09 January 2003 5:40 am, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> > > Albert Wagner wrote:
> >
> > <sniip>
> >
> > > <snip>
> >
> > Ah.  So the man page is incomplete.  Thank you.
>
> Nope!
>
> > ><snip>
>
> Folks! Do not forget that gcc passes parameters to the linker. Any
> parameter not a compiler option is passed to the link editor, ld. Check
> man ld and you will see your -s option, along with -l and many other
> things you recognoze that gcc doesn't include in its man pages.
Many people just don't know that, so why not write -Wl,-s instead of just
-s. Everyone can find -Wl in man gcc and people (especially newbies) are
less confused.

I've also run into problems with -s and -S, because both are ld options to
strip symbols, but -S is a gcc option (to stop after assembly) and is thus
not passed to ld. So if one wants to strip _debug_ symbols only, (s)he has
to use -Wl,-S anyway.

Bye...

	Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs		| Tel:	+49 (0)211 47068 182
Configuration Manager	| Fax:	+49 (0)211 47068 111
Cap Gemini Ernst & Young| Mail:	dirk.heinrichs at cgey.com
Hambornerstraße 55	| Web:	http://www.cgey.com
D-40472 Düsseldorf	| ICQ#:	110037733

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org