Keyboard is dead, can't login

Alex delete.this.part.alex.news at attbi.com
Thu Jan 9 14:54:55 PST 2003

 > And just that litle type made yourecompile the kernel 20 times!
 > Whaow, I'd have gave up quicker than you! (one compile used to
 > be 25 minutes on my machine until I got a new one last week!)

Well my machine is pretty quick.  The reboot to test was the annoying part.

I should have given up earlier. I read so many posts on the internet
about a kernel panic here, and a login failure there, that I figured
compiling a kernel was some sort of linux hazing ritual.

Well in any case I leared a lot about all the configuration options
available in the kernel.  :-)

 > Yes, it can be understood: if you don't mount correctly your
 > partition(s), some file(s) might not be available/writable, so
 > some programs miht not work.For example, login prompts
 > (mgetty/mingetty/whatever) won't be able to write or read from
 > some file(s) (which ones, by he way?) and would give up.

I thought of that.  What I don't understand is why the behavior was
different when using the .config from my host sytem.  It seems to me
that I still shouldn't have been able to log in.  Perhaps some
automouting support was compiled in.

Alex

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org