Keyboard is dead, can't login

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Thu Jan 9 14:34:27 PST 2003

On Thursday 09 January 2003 23:23, you wrote:
 > Mea Culpa.

Haha! ;-)

 > I guess simply writing about a problem helps one think.

Correctly expressing one's problem is half the way to the solution.

 > In /etc/fstab file I did not replace the *fs-type* for my lfs partition
 > with the correct type (ext3 in my case).

And just that litle type made yourecompile the kernel 20 times! Whaow, I'd
have gave up quicker than you! (one compile used to be 25 minutes on my
machine until I got a new one last week!)

 > I find the behavior that resulted from this mistake a bit strange, but
 > thankfully it now works.

Yes, it can be understood: if you don't mount correctly your partition(s),
some file(s) might not be available/writable, so some programs miht not work.
For example, login prompts (mgetty/mingetty/whatever) won't be able to write
or read from some file(s) (which ones, by he way?) and would give up.

Regards,
Yann.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |
| web: ymorin.free.fr | SETI at home  626 | / \ HTML MAIL    |   v   conspiracy.  |
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org