What is gcc -s option?

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Thu Jan 9 14:27:34 PST 2003

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Dan Osterrath wrote:

> > My mention of --strip-all et al was only in the vein of additional info.
>
> But "strip -s" means "strip --strip-all". This might be a danger when thinking
> "ld -s" would produce the same like "strip -s".

Apples and oranges. You are speaking of the strip command. The OP was
regarding the 'gcc -s' command, which just passes '-s' to ld. Ld -s says
... HOLY CRAP! It says --strip-all. We should be passing -S
(--strip-debug)?

I'm afraid I'll have to hit some more (obscure) docs myself to see if
"strip all" means the same in ld as it does in strip.

Good catch there!

Bill Maltby
lfsbill at wlmcs.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org