What is gcc -s option?

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Thu Jan 9 14:12:30 PST 2003

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Dan Osterrath wrote:

> > For dynamic executables, certain symbols are still needed at execute time
> > because they depend on symbols that are defined (that is, equated to a
> > real address) _at_the_time_of_execution.
>
> I compiled every package with "-s", even in chapter 6 and other followings as
> my C{,XX}FLAGS = "-s -march=pentium3 -fomit-frame-pointer -O2". But I never
> run into problems.
> So if some symbols are really needed for relocation then -s does not strip all
> symbols but unneded ones. I think it's equal to "strip --strip-unneeded". Am
> I wrong?

AFAIK, the '-s' would *never* = --strip-all. For ld to do this when it has
first-hand knowledge of *needed* symbols would seriously undermine my
faith (misplaced though it may be) in the develoeprs of gcc/glibc/ld...

My mention of --strip-all et al was only in the vein of additional info.

Bill Maltby
lfsbill at wlmcs.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org