Keyboard is dead, can't login

Alex delete.this.part.alex.news at attbi.com
Thu Jan 9 13:52:33 PST 2003

Hello All,

I just ran through the entire lfs 4.0 book.  I give my thanks to all the
people who made it possible.  I have learned quite a bit.
Unfortunately, I'm a Linux newbie, and have hit a big problem that I
cannot resolve.

When I boot my lfs system, everything seems to work and eventually I am
presented with a login prompt.  When I try to type a user name, nothing
happens.  The keyboard is completely dead!

I tried longing in anyway, thinking perhaps the characters were not
being echoed to the screen.  That didn't work.

I can ping the lfs machine from my laptop, so at least networking is up.

I have tried several different configurations from kernel menu
configuration program.

1) Take the defaults - I get the behavior mentioned above

2) Go into character devices and try lots of different combinations.  If
I do this, either the keyboard doesn't work, or the machine hangs during
the boot process after the line "freeing unused kernel memory"

3) Use my host's .config file.  When I do this, the compile fails in
some SCSI code.

3a) Same as above, but disable SCSI.  Now I can type and login, which is
good,  but my eth0 device does not go up! This despite the fact that the
correct Ethernet card is selected in the menu configuration program.
Ultimately I don't want to use my hosts .config as I intend to run a
minimal system as a web server on an old machine.

I have also tried kernel 2.4.20 with the same results.

My host is Red Hat 8.0 running kernel 2.4.18.  My machine is a Dell 8250
2.4 GHz with 1GB of memory and a 120gb IDE hard drive.

I have searched through the archive to no avail.  I have also looked all
over the Internet.  I found several comments like this one:

	http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Oct/7302.html

but they all seem involve the 2.5 kernel.  I had no success adapting the
solution to my problem.

Please help!  I am stuck.  I have rebuilt the kernel 20 times now and
even re-built every package.  Needless to say, I am getting quite
frustrated.  Is there some configuration option to make your keyboard
work?  Any sugestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org