parallel port : iomega zip + printer

Axel axel.azerty at netcourrier.com
Thu Jan 9 07:47:11 PST 2003

Hi
here is my hardware : celeron mobo with parallel port set up as "EPP 1.9 +
SPP" in the BIOS
an Iomega ZIP 100 on parallel port drive + an Epson Stylus Scan 2500 (it s a
combo printer+scanner 2 in 1)

extract from dmesg so my kernel seem to be well configured :

parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
parport0: Printer, EPSON Stylus Scan 2500

lp0: using parport0 (polling).

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
ppa: Version 2.07 (for Linux 2.4.x)
ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use EPP 32 bit
ppa: Communication established with ID 6 using EPP 32 bit
scsi1 : Iomega VPI0 (ppa) interface
  Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: D.13
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
sda: Write Protect is off
 sda: sda4

so.I can access to zip disk without problems.

with Iomega zip connected to the parallel port of the box and the printer
connected to the second parallel port of the iomega zip

I tryed  as root : cat > /dev/lp0
No response.just a little "tick" in the printer from time to time.
However, when cat > /dev/lp0,   cat
/proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/devices/active   prints as expected "lp"

so, i tryed to connect the printer directly to the computer
and no result again
cat > /dev/lp0 doesn' t print anything although cat
/proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/devices/active   prints as expected "lp"
again.

from where could come the problem ?
maybe from the printer which is not a simple // port printer since it comes
with an integrated scanner.maybe this printer as a special protocol I don' t
know. but linuxprinting.org explain that this stylus scan 2500 is well
supported.maybe only by the gimp print drivers or ghostscript drivers?

thx a lot

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org