tzselect problem - directories and files missing from /usr/share/zoneinfo

john voisey john.voisey at velvetwood_nospam.co.uk
Thu Jan 9 05:14:34 PST 2003

I'm almost too scared to post this for fear of being flamed.

I am trying to build an LFS system on an AMD K6/2 400. I have
some experience of installing linux distribs but this is the first
time I've done it from the ground up. I decided to use Slackware
8.1 as the "host" linux system and I have followed the LFS book
version 4.0 to the letter. I am now at the stage "Configuring
essential software".

The tzselect script complains that the Europe/London database
entries do not exist. It's absolutely correct. The only files in the
chrooted /usr/share/zoneinfo are iso3166.tab and zone.tab.

I followed the glibc-2.2.5 installation instructions to the letter. I
chose to "make localedata/install-locales"  as shown in the
instructions instead of the "alternative" suggestion in the text of
using the localedef command. For whatever reason, there are no
timezone database or directory entries anywhere under the
chrooted partition.

I thought I might have screwed up and caused the files to be
created somewhere else but this is not the case, and the files
in the slackware host partition are all dated May 17th 2002 so I know
I have not overwriten them !!

I am mystified.

The reason I'm petrified I'll get flamed is that a google search
turned up this reference (but nothing else !) :-

http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-support/2002/06/0682.html

This is the same problem as I am now seeing, reported in June 2002
from someone following the Version 3.3 book. Two followups suggest the
problem is caused by failing to set LC_ALL to POSIX when installing
glibc, but further followups suggest this should NOT be set while you
are installing software on the chrooted partition, and the rest of the
thread doesn't give me any real clues as to what's gone wrong.

I've read through the FAQ amd INSTALL documents that are untarred
with glibc-2.2.5 and I can't seem to find anything relevant to this.

I've obviously overlooked something and would appreciate any hints as
to what that might be !

regards, John Voisey
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org