no virtual consoles therefore no login!

steve diamon at btopenworld.com
Wed Jan 8 12:05:21 PST 2003

On Wednesday 08 Jan 2003 10:54 am, Jasper Stein hammered frantically on
their keyboard and wrote:

> steve wrote:
>> Should have added that "respawning too fast - Waiting 5 minutes" or
>> something similar is error messages
>>
>> any ideas please.  Sure it's simple.
>
> Okay, this probably means that the program that creates these VTs
> doesn't work, ie. crashes almost immediately after startup. Every time
> it stops (quits normally or crashes) init will start it up again
> immediately, resulting (in your case) in a new crash (and another
> attemp, etc.) If this happens too often, init will wait 5 minutes before
> retrying; hence the warning.
>
> I believe agetty is what normally creates VTs - go check if it works.

Well, I 'solved' it.  There was /var/run/gpm.pid left over from the first
boot ?!?  I removed this file and rebooted and now everything is fine.
Simple problem - simple solution.

Thanks anyways
--
It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org