my lfs still doesn't boot in chapter 9!

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 6 09:24:07 PST 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

>If somebody wants to write a hint about it, great go right ahead. Keep in mind
>the devfs instructions need to include the scenario where the host
>distribution is not devfs based, so a "mount devfs -t devfs /dev" inside
>chroot (like we do for proc) won't always work. So MAKEDEV is still needed
>for such systems until you reboot (and the kernel will then mount devfs over
>/dev but hte static files are still there, in case you ever need them, ie
>didn't boot a kernel with devfs support)

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~tushar/hints/devfsd.txt

I create /dev/console and /dev/null since those are needed before devfs
is mounted. So when compiling Ch. 6, only these two are available. There
were some hints in the hints section but all of them mentioned mounting
devfs at boot time which was not suitable for me since I wanted to use
devfsd to store device permissions across reboots.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://www.geocities.com/tushar/

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org