Problem compiling gcc

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jan 6 09:01:36 PST 2003

On January 5, 2003 12:52 pm, Chris Lingard wrote:
> This is too old.  You could build an old LFS with it.  If you have
> Mandrake, then do not forget to install glibc-static-devel

It's an old system yes, but you might be able to get it to work. The LFS CVS
book has modified instructions to build GCC. In essence we use
$LFS/static/bin/ld and $LFS/static/bin/as for building GCC rather than the
files from the host distribution. That way even you have an ancient binutils
installed, it won't matter because it's not used. The rest of your system
should be good enough to get through chapter 5. It's worth a try and I'd like
to hear back from you if it worked or not.

See http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/cvs/ for the CVS version
instructions.

--
Gerard Beekmans